Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks and Paying It Forward

I love celebrating Thanksgiving; time spent with family, good food, and giving thanks for all the blessings we receive. But this year I’m dreading it a bit. You see, my mom lost her battle with cancer this June, and just five weeks later my nephew was killed in a motorcycle accident. Even though they are with us in spirit, this celebrations will not be the same without them.

Mom had a zest for life. She loved any excuse to celebrate, and she especially loved the holidays. She would decorate to the hilt, feed us until we were about to burst, and always had gifts for the grandkids. Oh how she loved her grandkids! Mom was especially thoughtful for those who were less fortunate, always giving, whether it was cash, or gifts, a listening ear, or a cheerful conversation.



Today my nephew would have been 24. John enjoyed life, and I never, ever saw him without a huge smile on his face. John also cared for those who were less fortunate by helping at camps for the disabled, or helping a friend through a difficult time. To celebrate John’s birthday, the family asked that we all ‘pay it forward’ and do something nice for someone else. It didn’t have to be anything big, or cost a lot of money, just something thoughtful and with John in mind.



I thought about all the things one could do for others, things that really didn’t require much effort, but would put a smile on someone’s face. Things like visiting someone in the nursing home, taking food to a neighbor that has no family, raking leaves for an elderly couple or a single mother, or just saying hello to someone you meet on the street. It doesn’t take much to make a difference to someone, even if for just a day.

Even though this holiday will be a bit sad for us, I still have much to be thankful for. If I made a list of these blessings, it would never end.


My wish is for you and your family to have a Blessed Thanksgiving


from pinterest

5 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Alice, That is a wonderful way to honor a loved one that has past on, and it is true you never know how a kind gesture, word, or even a smile can have an impact on someone.
Happy Thanksgiving
Therese

Anonymous said...

Alice, this is such a beautiful post. I hope you and your family are enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Cindy said...

Alice, I was thinking of you earlier in the week and about this Thanksgiving. I can't imagine how tough it really must have been today with the loss of two special family members. I know they must be with you in spirit and in memory - thank you so much for sharing a bit about each of them in your post. The picture of your nephew in his blue jean overalls sure brought a smile to my face - just adorable. Even amidst your heart aches this holiday, you have posted words of inspiration and hope. Thank you for reminding us about the little things, and how they can mean something big to someone in need. We can all benefit from that reminder.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Alice...so sorry for the loss of your loved ones.

My Life Under the Bus said...

So sorry for your losses - you did make my day for sure! XOXO