Friday, December 30, 2011

Reflection and Anticipation


Found on Pinterest

The book is swiftly closing on 2011, and as many others do, I am reflecting on the year that seems to have flown by.

Certainly the year held sorrows. Mom lost her battle with cancer in June, and shortly after, my young nephew was killed in a motorcycle accident, and just yesterday a friend lost the battle with a rare form of leukemia, leaving a wife and two children behind. While we will never understand how bad things happen to good people, we do know the Lord has plans for all of us. Perhaps he needed these three wonderful people to help prepare the Kingdom for the rest of us. Or perhaps it was just their time.

But the year held happy memories as well. Our oldest daughter graduated from college and quickly found a job as a teacher in a town just 30 minutes away from us. Her fifth grade class loves her, and they think she accessorizes fabulously. Our son began his second year at college, and shares a house with two former dorm mates (where they do odd things like cook squirrel and other things I don’t’ want to know about). And our youngest daughter began her freshman year of high school this fall, and became locally famous for her talent as a cross country runner.

Looking forward, I hope to grow my jewelry business by trying new venues for selling such as etsy, lunch hour shows at businesses, and new galleries or shops. My personal goals are to find a better way to manage my time, and to adopt a healthier life style through food and exercise, starting with a healthy meal once a week.

Though the year sped by in a blur, I do know that our family has been blessed beyond measure. The book of 2012 is opening, and the pages are waiting to be written.

Wishing you a year of magical wonder, and of peace, hope and joy.

'We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.'
~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

10 comments:

Vicki said...

I"m so sorry for your losses in 2011, Alice. I am so glad the year held happy memories and many blessings for you as well. Thinking of you in the New Year and wishing you the very best.

Cindy said...

Sending you a hug, Alice! You've gone through your share (and then some) of ups and downs this year. I'm looking forward to continued friendship in 2012!

Libby Leuchtman said...

Thinking of you Alice. A beautiful and thoughtful post.

Kathy ~ Artful Accents said...

Alice, sorry to hear of your losses this year. But as you noted, happy memories were there too. Good to count the losses and blessings together, you can't feel one without the other. Wishing for you a joyful new year.

Donna Reyne' said...

I am so glad you are opening an Etsy! This is great and exciting news!
Happy New Year sweet Alice...your friendship means the world to me!
Hugs from here
Donna

In the Light of the Moon said...

Sweet Alice,the lovely way you put the loss of those you love made me cry...and it wasnt a sad cry,but more like a happy,sad cry,if that makes any sense.
and to hear the wonderful way your children have found thier paths...even the ones that you dont want to know about,heehee.
I am so thankful that our paths sweet Alice and so here is 2012 and many many more years of friendship.Hugs,Cat

Tricia said...

Oh Alice, I'm sorry to hear about all those that you lost in the past year, but it's nice that you're able to focus on all your blessings too. I hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you :)

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I hope 2012 is nothing but wonderful for you, after 2011 you deserve it!!!! happy New year to you!
XO
Kristin

Saucy said...

I am sorry that your year brought heartache but all the best in 2012. I am commenting simply because I adore the way you turned the phrase about your daughter "they think she accessorizes beautifully"... it made me smile!

Happy New Year!

LizlovesVintage said...

I thank you for stopping by my Blog.
What an amazing banner you have. Happy New Year :)
xxx Liz