Friday, March 7, 2014

Jewely Making Mojo Challenge Back To School


Our challenge this week is to learn something new. I mostly do stringing in my jewelry designs but have been wanting to try other things like making metal shapes.
Last week Hope and I were chatting about how we didn't really like the heart shape as it has been overused and a bit saccharine, though we both agreed we like the rusty crusty hearts.
But this is supposed to be a challenge so I decided to make a heart.
I've also been wanting to do more in the way of texture and purchased this texture hammer with my Christmas money. I have to confess I haven't used it until now. Sometimes when I get a new tool I let it sit for a while, kind of like I need some time to get acquainted with it before I use it. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that!


So I cut out a heart shape on brass sheet and filed, and filed, and filed and finished of the rough edges with sand paper.
Next I use the texture hammer-this is the front side


This is the back side which I like much better.


My Rusty Heart
I used the Ranger Cinnabar Patina and then the Clay Patina from the'Rusted Hardware' kit and sanded with a Vintaj Reliefing Block.

I'm not sure I like the color and might fiddle around a bit more, but I had a lot of fun experimenting.
Thanks for stopping by.
Please visit Heather's blog to see what the other artists have made.
And if you are in a slump and need a kick start join Heather's Challenge.


2 comments:

Cindy said...

Alice, looks like you successfully met the challenge of trying something new - both with your cool non-traditional heart and with using your new hammer! YES, I am just like you..... I tend to get a new tool and then let it sit for a while before attempting to use it! I remember when I did that with my tumbler years ago and now the two of us are best friends. :-)

CraftyHope said...

Yeah, I'm behind again on my blog-reading. First, thanks for the mention. Secondly, I also let my tools sit for a while before I play with them (and my wire, beads, clasps, found objects. . .I hoard it ALL ;) )
Lastly, your heart is definitely more in line with what I like. It's less shiny and perfect and more like the human heart, beaten and worn. Cool idea!